How many hours are you putting into your business weekly? 50? 60? 70-hour weeks? Sometimes I bet even 80-hour weeks don’t feel like they’re enough to tackle the enormous list of things you might be facing.
There’s a quote that says, “Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t so you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t”. Put simply, if you put the hard yards in now, you’ll reap the rewards in the future.
Well here’s something I tell my 300+ business coaching clients that may surprise you: “You need to take a holiday”. Just like how a doctor orders you to do things!
You’re probably be thinking the same thing they do – “What? But I’m crazy busy – I am not sure that things will survive if I was to go away! How will I get my to-do list done?”
I’m not saying you need to go in your busiest period or that it needs to be five weeks in New York, but trust me when I say that you being away a few days from the business will actually improve it.
- You get the space to think. It’s very easy to get caught up in your everyday tasks when you’re at the office and to have your brain filled with what needs to be done. But the important thinking – that pie-in-the-sky, big picture thinking that will improve your business – needs a bit of head room. Plonk yourself next to a pool, turn your phone off and let the thinking begin. Where do you want your business to be in 5 years? 10? How are you going to get it there? What steps and direction do you need to take?
- You get some perspective. What’s your biggest problem in business right now? Are your overheads skyrocketing? Your team morale is low? You latest product has been a bit of a flop? Sometimes in business you need to get out of the forest to see the trees – remove yourself from the situation and give yourself some time to mull and work through what the root cause of your business troubles could be. The answers will come.
- Holiday mode makes you creative. The escape from routine, those new sights, smells, experiences, culture – it all boils up to a new perspective, which brings new ideas and creative solutions and innovations.
- You get time to read. Pack those books you’ve been hankering to read but which have been gathering dust on your bedside table; finally read those business blogs you’ve been wanting to. Try Mark Manson The Subtle Art Of Not Giving a F*ck or Richard Branson’s Losing My Virginity or Bernadette Jiwa’s The Fortune Cookie Principle. Be inspired by the stories of other people’s success and their learning’s along the way.
- It recharges your batteries. Most people can’t sustain 60 to 80-hour work weeks for too long. Yes, the body will keep keeping on but you won’t be operating at the top of your game. Plus, you need to be refreshed on your return from holiday in order to implement all the amazing business ideas you’ve had!
Which is why I prescribe it to my business coaching clients. This is why we created the Nurture Her Business Retreat (I helped to create it along with co-founders Sarah Nally (Roocroft), Libby Babet and Steve Pirie) – a five day “bizcation” in Fiji where you get to think on your business and your life while fitting in some much-needed R&R. The speakers and attendees we have on board will give you the jumpstart you need for your business for the coming year. The other massive benefit you will get from attending www.nurtureher.com will be the people you will meet will have the potential to be major game-changers for your business and personally. You never know who you will meet, who they might know and how they might be able to impact on you!
Your next challenge? Keeping yourself accountable in implementing all these awesome new ideas once your return from Nurture Her…
Zac is Australia and NZs highest Google and Facebook Five Star Rated business coach at www.businesschanging.com and helps businesses of all sizes and industries, from SMEs to big international corporates. He was awarded International Coach of the Year two years in a row. Zac also developed virtual coaching software www.accountabilityme.com and is a co-founder of www.nurturechange.com as well as www.nurtureher.com the Fiji Business Retreat for women, October 24 – 28, 2018.